Important Hajj 2020 Notice
Notice to IFI Pilgrims Regarding Hajj 2020
The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia announced on Monday 22nd June 2020 that because of the Corona virus pandemic there will be no pilgrims coming for Hajj from outside Saudi Arabia this year. This means that we at the Islamic Foundation of Ireland (IFI) cannot go ahead with our plans for our Hajj group from Ireland this year.
We wish to inform all those who have booked a Hajj package with us that the Islamic Foundation of Ireland is a fully bonded travel agent licensed by the Commission for Aviation Regulation in Ireland and we assure our customers that their payments are fully guaranteed and protected.
In addition to our guarantee, the government of Ireland has introduced a measure called Refund Credit Note (to help travel agents and tour operators) whereby it guarantees the refund to the customers.
We recommend that pilgrims accept the Refund Credit Note and keep their booking payments for next year’s Hajj; however, one is entitled to a refund if he/she so wishes.
Below are the details of the Refund Credit Note and link to the government announcement.
Refund Credit Note
The Government of Ireland has introduced a short-term, emergency measure called a Refund Credit Note, which will be issued by travel agents licensed by the Commission for Aviation Regulation, to their customers where a booking has been cancelled due to Covid-19 travel restrictions.
How Does the Refund Credit Note Work?
- Customers who agree to accept a Refund Credit Note for a booking cancelled because of Covid-19 travel restrictions will receive from their travel agent an email or paper document. The Refund Credit Note will expressly identify the customers’ original package travel booking, with relevant booking details.
- The Refund Credit Note allows the customer to book a holiday for a later date (Hajj package for next year 2021, in our case) offered by the travel agent.
- The Refund Credit Note will be equal to the amount paid by the customer.
- The Refund Credit Note offered by the IFI is for 12 months from the date of issue. It can be redeemed for its value in cash nine months from date of issue and any time thereafter.
- The Refund Credit Note is transferable to another person, and travel agents and tour operators must facilitate this transfer free of any charges.
- We will maintain a register of Refund Credit Notes issued and make it available to the Commission for Aviation Regulation on a quarterly basis or as otherwise requested by the Commission.
What Guarantees or Protections Do I Have?
If the travel agent or tour operator ceases trading through insolvency and you have a refund due, you will be financially protected. The Commission for Aviation Regulation is responsible for checking that this protection is in place, so if a tour operator or travel agent ceases to trade the Refund Credit Note is evidence of the package travel refund due and is financially protected.
Therefore, in choosing to accept a Refund Credit Note as full or part reimbursement for a cancelled package travel booking, the customer can be assured that the value of the Note is fully secure.
If you have any queries about travel agent/tour operator insolvency protection, you should contact the Commission for Aviation Regulation – contact details on its website at www.aviationreg.ie.
The Islamic Foundation of Ireland